I call this recipe German French Toast because you wouldn’t understand what the recipe was if I used the direct translation. The recipe is originally called “Arme Ritter” which in German means “poor Knight”. See, that wouldn’t tell you anything about the recipe! This is a simple German dessert that can be made in less than half an hour. It reminds me of a sweet eggy bread or French toast, if you’ve ever had that before you’ll know what I mean. It is particularly popular around the Oktoberfest period and is eaten warm with fruit puree, fruit stews, hot custard or vanilla cream sauce. It’s just delicious and great to rustle up in a hurry for kids! You can have it for breakfast, brunch or as a dessert it’s so versatile!
What you need to know:
Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Ingredients for 2 portions:
For the cherry sauce:
720 g cherries in syrup
2 cloves (sweet baking spice)
1 tbsp blancmange powder
1 tsp sugar
or use a fruit puree / stewed fruit of your choice
For the main filling:
2 tbsp sugar
250 ml milk
2 packets of vanilla sugar or use 20 g sugar and add vanilla extract
2 tbsp butter
4 soft and small gluten free sweet milk rolls
or try this recipe for milk bread
1. Separate the cherries and syrup into 2 bowls keeping the syrup. In a saucepan put the cherry syrup in with the cloves and gently warm up to a slow simmer on a medium heat. Do not let it boil. (If using stewed fruit or puree already made then just warm up in the microwave before serving at the end.)
2. In a small bowl mix the blancmange powder with 2 tbsp of the cherry juice or fruit juice and add to the saucepan.
3. Add one tsp of sugar and one tsp of cinnamon to the saucepan.
4. Remove the cloves and add the cherries. Mix well then remove from the heat.
5. In another bowl add the milk, eggs, vanilla sugar and the rest of the sugar. Whisk until you get a good froth.
6. Cut the milk rolls or bread into pieces and dip into the milky egg mix. Drench them well but not so that they are so soggy they fall apart.
7. Place the eggy bread pieces into a hot pan with butter or oil spray and fry until golden brown.
8. Place the bread pieces onto warmed plates and drizzle the hot cherry sauce or hot stewed fruit over the top. Dust lightly with icing sugar and serve immediately whilst still warm.
Enjoy with vanilla cream sauce, custard or even ice cream.