I found this recipe online from lovely Ruby‘s food blog and thought wow that sounds amazing but how can I make it gluten free? So I experimented with gluten free things on the market and simple gluten free digestive biscuits / plain crackers worked the best so why not have a go! Check out some of Ruby’s recipes on her blog to see more of her amazing food! To make this trifle more boozy simply increase the alcohol to your desire!
What you need to know:
Prep time: 40 mins
Chill time: 2 hours or overnight
Ingredients for a large trifle bowl to serve 10-12:
2lbs / 900 g strawberries sliced length ways plus a few for decoration
juice of 2 1/2 limes
1/2 lime sliced thinly to decorate
1 tin / 14 oz / 397 g sweetened condensed milk
16 oz / 450 g plain low fat cream cheese
900 g gluten-free digestive biscuits or crackers crumbled
8 oz butter melted
4 tbsp tequila
4 tbsp triple sec
1 large trifle bowl Sprigs of mint to garnish on top
1. Mix the butter with the crumbled biscuits or crackers and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl mix the cream cheese and milk, tequila, triple sec and lime juice and beat with a mixer on high for 1 minute.
3. Place 1 inch layer of crumbs in the bottom of the trifle bowl.
4. Carefully spoon 1 inch layer of cream cheese filling over the top.
5. Cover with 2 layers of strawberries.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 layering the biscuit crumbs, cream cheese and strawberries until all the ingredients have been used up. Finish with a layer of cream cheese on the top.
7. Decorate with slices of strawberries and lime and pop in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight to set. Add the fresh mint leaves just before serving.
8. Serve cold with single cream or custard and a Margarita, Desperado’s Beer, Mojito cocktail or a lime infused ice tea!