Autumn is the perfect time to dig out the soup recipes and enjoy hearty warm dinners to keep warm and toasty and pack in the vitamins. Autumn is also the time of year for lots of delicious vegetables that taste amazing like pumpkins, butternut squashes, zucchinis and many more so grab them while they are in season! Here is a favourite recipe of mine that is so flexible. You can be pretty creative with soups enjoying them lumpy or whizzing them up smooth to a puree. You could add rice, gluten-free pasta or buckwheat to bulk them out a bit more or enjoy them on their own. You can make this a vegetarian soup if you want or add different veggies but I like this one as it is. I hope you do too!
What you need to know:
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Ingredients for 6 Portions:
2 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
½ medium butternut squash (1lb), peeled, seeded, and diced medium
1 medium onion, diced medium
1 carrot peeled and sliced
Half zucchini sliced
5 medium potatoes washed, peeled and chopped into small 1/4
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and ground black pepper
1.5 litres low-sodium gluten-free chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
½ tsp rosemary leaves
Large roasting tin, large saucepan
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees C. Wash, peel and chop the veg, and place the chicken, veggies and potatoes in the large roasting tin. Arrange in a single layer, baste with oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven for 40 minutes, increase temperature to 200 degrees C and bake until well cooked through. Remove from the oven and let cool; cool enough that you can shred the chicken off the bone with your fingers.
- Transfer the squash and veggies to a large pot and add stock, cayenne pepper, rosemary and coriander. Bring to a simmer over medium-high. You can either leave lumpy or puree the soup now.
- Add the shredded chicken and turn off the heat. Stir well and serve with gluten-free bread.
1. If you don’t want soup just follow steps 1 and 2 and you have a roast chicken dinner in 40 mins to feed 2-3 people!
2. For a vegetarian soup omit the chicken and chicken stock. Use either more butternut squash to replace the chicken or tofu and use a gluten-free vegetable stock instead.