This is a delicious sausage soup recipe that I adapted from two other recipes, one being a soup recipe and the other a sausage casserole. I hope you like it! It is really lovely and comforting when the weather is cold and wintery and you just want to snuggle indoors and keep warm! Plus it packs in all the vitamins and veggies, which helps to fight off colds and bugs.
What you need to know:
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Ingredients for approx. 8 portions:
455 g / 16 oz gluten free sausages or Italian sausages cut into bite size chunks
1/3 of Italian cured sausage / dried pepperoni sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onions, thinly sliced
1 litre / 1.7 imperial pints gluten free beef stock
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
6 medium tomatoes chopped
120 g / 4 oz sliced carrots (about 3 medium carrots)
1 small zucchini, cubed
1 very small red pepper, 1 very small green pepper, cubed
60 g / 2 oz spinach – packed, rinsed and torn
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 bay leaves
1 tsp hot chili powder or smoked paprika
3–4 sprigs of fresh thyme
100ml / 3½fl oz red wine (optional)
1 x 400g/14oz can butter beans or chick peas drained and rinsed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a very large deep saucepan brown sausages with garlic and onion.
2. Stir in stock, tomatoes and carrots, and season with salt and pepper and all the spices and herbs. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Stir in pepperoni, beans, zucchini and peppers. Cover, and simmer another 15 minutes, or until zucchini and peppers are tender.
4. Add spinach, red wine and Worcestershire sauce. Replace lid and cook for a further 5 mins.
5. Remove from the heat and serve 5 mins after that.
6. Enjoy with fresh gluten free bread or toast.
Tastes even better on the second day once the flavours have really blended together! Keep in the fridge once cooled and use within 3 days.