This soup is one of my favourite soup recipes in Autumn and Winter. It’s packed full of vitamin C, veggies and is warming and filling. The gorgeous orange red colour makes it so inviting and if using the spinach blends with Autumn and Christmas colours perfectly! Colour coordinated dinner can’t be a bad thing surely 😉 lol! Hope you enjoy it whether it be for lunch or dinner or as a starter!
What you need to know:
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Ingredients for a large batch of 8 portions:
2 cloves garlic
4 medium carrots peeled and chopped
1.2 litre gluten free vegetable stock
2-3 tbsp coriander
1 tsp cumin powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
5 small tomatoes or 2 large ones cut into quarters
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 cup / 230 g red lentils
1 sweet potato peeled and chopped roughly
4 small handfuls of fresh or frozen spinach (optional)
handful of fresh parsley or fresh basil leaves
spoonful of cooked basmati rice
1. In a large saucepan fry the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until golden brown.
2. Add the tomatoes, puree and spices and fry for a further 5 mins stirring continuously to avoid sticking and burning.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30 mins until lentils, sweet potato and carrots are soft. If using frozen spinach add here to allow time for defrosting and boiling
4. When ready, remove from the heat, blend soup until creamy and then replace back onto the heat. If using fresh spinach add here and simmer soup gently until spinach is wilted. Bring quickly to the boil for a couple of seconds and then turn off the stove. The rapid boil at the end ensures that after blending all the ingredients are cooked through and the soup as a whole is piping hot.
5. Serve with sprigs of parsley or basil, soured cream and gluten free bread. To make the soup really filling for an evening dinner cook some basmati rice and add a spoonful on top.