If you have some beetroot that needs using up or you fancy trying a new salad then have a go at this recipe. Straight from my mother in law in Ivano-Frankivsk, Ukraine this salad is certainly moreish and naturally gluten free! PS. Ukrainians love lots of garlic and onions so if you’re not a fan then feel free to omit them!
What you need to know:
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 40-60 mins if cooking beetroot
Ingredients for a large salad dish:
3 cloves garlic crushed
7 oz / 200 g white beans or chickpeas cooked and cooled
8.8 oz / 250 g cooked red beetroots grated (cold)
8.8 oz / 250 g carrots grated (raw)
huge dollops of mayonnaise
1. To prepare your beets for boiling first cut the leafy part and the root off so that you have just the beet, rinse it under running water and pop in the pan of boiling water. Beetroot can take between 40-60 mins to cook depending on the size. When they are done you should be able to rub the skin off easily with your hand.
2. When the beetroot is cooked, let them cool and then remove the skins. Coarsely grate them into a bowl and watch out you don’t touch anything precious with your red hands! Beetroot stains!
3. While cooking the beetroots or letting them cool cook the white beans. A quicker way is to buy cooked beans in a tin, just rinse under cold water.
4. Place all the ingredients into a bowl, smother generously with mayonnaise and mix thoroughly. Leave to stand for 30 mins to blend the flavours and colours.
5. Enjoy with meats, fish or bread.