Perfect as a side dish or on it’s own as a vegetarian evening meal.
What you need to know:
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Oven temp.: 200 °C
Ingredients for 4 portions:
200 ml milk
300ml double cream
knob of butter
handful of fresh or frozen spinach
1 large onion
2.5 kg potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
handful of fresh thyme
salt and pepper to season
handful of grated Parmesan, cheddar or mozzarella
fresh parsley or chives to garnish
1 casserole dish
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C and grease an oven proof casserole dish.
2. Pour the milk and cream into a deep pan with the bay leaves and garlic. Bring to the boil and then simmer for a minute.
3. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the potatoes, spinach, onion and most of the thyme leaves and stir well. Spoon into the casserole dish and shake gently to level it out.
5. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and cover with a piece of oiled foil. Bake in the oven for 45 mins to 50 mins. Remove the foil and grill or bake for a further 5 mins to brown the top.
6. Serve hot with fresh parsley leaves or chives.