When we visit the Ukraine or our Ukrainian relatives here in Germany I can pretty much guarantee there will be a carp fish on the table for lunch. It is not only a popular fish for East Germany but at Christmas in the Ukraine and Russia Carp is eaten instead of turkey. The only thing you need to watch out for is fish bones as carp has a lot! For those fish lovers out there here is an easy fish recipe for the weekend!
What you need to know:
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Oven temp.: 200 °C
Ingredients for 2 Portions:
6 medium sized potatoes
1 carp fish approx. 13.7″ / 35cm in length or a weight of 1.8lbs / 800g
1 onion sliced or 2 lemons for alternative
salt and pepper to
season fresh parsley to decorate
oil roasting tin
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Wash and prepare the fish. Remove gills, fins, insides and eyes. If you forget to remove the gills the fish will be bitter around the head.
2. Rub the salt inside and outside of the fish and use generously.
3. Slice the onion, add salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Then place inside the fish. If onion isn’t your thing then take 2 lemons, slice one lemon in half and put that into the fish. With the second lemon, squeeze out the juice and rub the juice with the salt inside and outside the fish.
4. Grease the roasting tin lightly with oil and lay the fish in the centre on one side.
5. Brush the fish lightly with oil to stop the skin drying out in the oven. You only need to brush the top side of the fish as the other will steam bake in the oven and soak up the rest of the oil. The top side will also look better and more inviting when shiny.
6. Peel and wash the potatoes. Slice into quarters and arrange around the fish. If you like a lot of potatoes then feel free to add more until the roasting tin is full. Alternatively throw in some veggies to pack in the vitamins.
7. Baste the potatoes and/or veggies in oil and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
8. Put in oven for 45 mins until the skin is golden brown.
9. Remove from the oven and decorate with fresh parsley. If you want to cover the eye holes you can pop red currents or a couple of cranberries in the holes. Enjoy with tartare sauce, prawn cocktail sauce or simply on its own!