This gluten-free cheesecake recipe is amazing! I found it on the BBC Good-food website and thought I have to adapt this to make it gluten-free. I did and I think my version might just be better 😉 It is fairly rich in white chocolate but creamy and light and perfect for summer or winter, any time of the year and for any occasion. It’s also non bake! We had it on Christmas Day and everyone loved it! It vanished very quickly! The apricots also help balance the sweetness and creaminess of the white chocolate whilst the ginger spiced gluten-free biscuits add a great crunch and wintery spice to the mix and heck its got fruit in it and boosts your calcium levels so just grab yourself a piece – don’t think about the guilt, just enjoy this piece of heaven! :p
Haha OK enough with the sales pitch, here’s the recipe! 😉
What you need to know:
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Chill time: 4 hours or overnight is best
Ingredients for a 20 cm cheesecake, 8 slices:
400g pack gluten-free spiced or Lebkuchen biscuits
150g butter or coconut oil, melted
14 ripe apricots (or 2 tins of apricot halves in juice)
3 sheets leaf gelatine or Agar Agar
300g white chocolate, plus 100 g extra to decorate
300ml pot mascarpone
300g pack light soft cheese, such as Philadelphia Light
85g raw sugar
2 tbsp icing sugar
1. Butter a flat flan tin or a 20cm spring-form tin. Melt the butter / coconut oil and set aside. Break the gluten-free spiced biscuits in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Mix the butter/oil and biscuit crumbs together well and spoon into the greased tin. Press down firmly with a round water glass or back of a spoon until it is flat and even covering the base and the sides. Place in the fridge to chill while you make the filling.
2. Stone and chop 7 of the apricots into small chunks or if using tinned apricots drain the juice and sliced up 14 halves. Leave 4 apricots (8 halves) aside for the decoration on top. Feel free to add more apricots in the filling if you want!
3. Put the gelatine in a bowl, cover with cold water, then leave to soften for 10 mins.If using Agar Agar you will need to heat it first, follow the instructions on the pack.
4. Break up the white chocolate and put in a heatproof bowl with 100ml of the mascarpone. Stand over a pan of simmering water, (water bath) then leave until melted, stirring occasionally. Keep the heat very low to avoid cooking the chocolate. Slow melting is best I find for white chocolate.
5. Squeeze water out of the gelatine, then stir into chocolate mix. Take off the heat and stir until dissolved. Set aside.
6. Beat the soft cheese and sugar together. Whisk remaining mascarpone into the cheese mix. Fold in the chocolate, followed by the chopped apricots. Pour into the prepared tin and chill for at least 4 hrs or overnight.
7. To decorate: Line a grill pan with foil. Cut remaining apricots into quarters, then place on the foil, cut-sides up. Dust with icing sugar and grill for a few minutes until lightly browned. Cool, then arrange over the top. Shave some white chocolate curls, then pile up in the centre of the cheesecake and serve. Absolutely amazing!