This is what I usually serve up with the Christmas Turkey and my home-made gluten-free stuffing or to accompany roast dinners! I love root vegetables and it definitely is a winner in our house! I love the fact that it is pretty easy to do as well and it’s just a case of throwing everything in together and popping in the oven! That’s my kind of cooking!
What you need to know:
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 1.5 hours (approx.)
Oven Temp.: 180°C
Ingredients for a huge side dish: Approx. 8 servings:
1 small to medium squash, peeled and diced
4 small parsnips, peeled and sliced lengthways
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced lengthways
1 large tbsp coconut oil, melted but not hot
handful of rosemary, fresh or dried
salt and pepper
150 g pecan nuts, whole
maple syrup, as much as you like!
1. Peel, chop and slice all vegetables
2. Pop all vegetables, rosemary, salt and pepper into a dish and add the melted coconut oil. Mix well to really cover all the vegetables.
3. Pop the vegetables in the oven and roast for about an hour. Turn the vegetables over occasionally to ensure even roasting.
4. Drizzle the vegetables with maple syrup and add the nuts, as much as your taste buds like, and finish roasting for about another 20-30 mins. Make sure the vegetables don’t burn. You can always add another spoonful of coconut oil if they look too dry.
5. When golden brown and cooked all the way through (ie. no longer crunchy) remove from the oven and serve with any meat of choice.
Tip: goes really well with most roast dinners and also as a side dish to most main meals.