What is Christmas dinner without a bit of nuts and stuffing?! Obviously being coeliac or gluten sensitive we can’t have normal stuffing but have no fear coz’ here is a delicious gluten-free stuffing recipe that will taste even better than the shop bought wheat flour ones the others at the table will probably be eating. You never know, they may try this one and not even realise it’s gluten free and absolutely love it! 😉 You can also make this recipe in advance, freeze it and then just pop it back into the oven to crisp up again on Christmas Day or Sunday lunch!
What you need to know:
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 30 mins
Oven temp.: 200C/400F/Gas 6.
600ml/1 pint water
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
225g/8oz pre-soaked dried apricots, snipped into small pieces
2 small apples grated with skin (optional)
225g/9oz fresh white gluten free breadcrumbs
75g/3oz butter or coconut oil or ghee
225g/8oz chestnuts roasted/baked, cooled & roughly chopped
generous bunch fresh parsley, chopped
freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Butter a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Measure the water into a pan; add the onion and apricot bring to the boil.
- Boil for about five minutes and drain.
- Put the gluten free breadcrumbs into a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in a pan and pour this onto the breadcrumbs.
- Add the chestnuts to the bowl with the gluten free breadcrumbs.
- Add the apricots, onion, grated apple and parsley to the bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn into a buttered, shallow ovenproof dish and bake in a preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes until crisp and hot right through. Serve straight away.
If making in advance:
- To freeze: cool and cover the dish with foil, freeze until Christmas Eve.
- To thaw: take out the night before using and thaw overnight. Re-crispen in a hot oven (as above) for about 10-15 minutes.
If you don’t have much time:
Use a tin of halved apricots, drain the juice and slice. Forget pre-soaking and skip steps 3 & 4. Chop everything up, mix everything in the bowl with butter and breadcrumbs and pop in the oven!